Work ethic is a term used to describe a person’s dedication to their job. People with good work ethics understand being committed to their job as a strong basis and they accept the challenge of striving to succeed.
This is a valuable trait that Talent Managers look for in their high-potential employees and candidates. Having a strong work ethic makes it easier to focus on activities, act professionally in the face of adversity, be persistent, demonstrate accountability, and be a dependable person.
Professionals with these characteristics exhibit a particular set of values and behaviors that make them stand out as valuable team members:
- Dependability: A trustworthy work partner is able to contribute in a fair manner.
- Dedication: Part of a good ethic is commitment and dedication.
- Discipline: To exceed expectations and seek opportunities to learn new skills and improve performance.
- Productivity: To complete projects more efficiently.
- Cooperation: Showing good interpersonal, teamwork and helping others.
Showing the qualities of a good work ethic improves performance in any area. Leaders look for this when hiring or promoting employees. These characteristics can be acquired through training, but many managers can also identify high-potential candidates. Even better, they can also have a large experience in their field.
Tips to improve the work ethic
Some advice to improve the work ethic and to be reflected in the talent are:
- Value the organization: Appreciate the firm, know its values and the ethics it manages to know in depth what the organization is all about.
- Practice time management: Having good control of time will help to fulfill work in timely manner.
- Ensure that the work is of high quality: This shows employers that employees are dedicated to the job and that there is a willingness to make the effort.
- Lead by example: People look to their leaders for behaviors that they can replicate to be more productive.
- Conduct team activities: To build trust and teamwork among employees.
- Have feedback sessions: Comment on the negative and positive points, as well as the fact that it is a great opportunity to help the collaborator to grow and that the help is bilateral.
- Maintain a professional attitude: It shows that there is pride in the work, that there is a feeling of belonging to the company and that the company seeks to improve day by day.
Therefore, it’s essential that the Human Resources department monitors and adjusts the work ethic within the company, either in general, by department or employee by employee. Work ethic is one of the most critical elements to find success in the company. In conclusion, there is a link between work ethics and success. According to LewisHopkins, “Success at Work ” author ethics go hand in hand with success, because values are what makes a person and if a person is balanced, they will do their job in a better way, reflecting their personal success in the success of the company.